Resize Text A A A

Types of Financial Aid

Types of Financial Aid

The following grants and tuition assistance programs are funding sources for CLTCC students.

Federal Pell Grant:
Funding available to undergraduate students based on financial need. Students are not required to pay back Pell Grants. However, there is a limit on the amount of funding students can receive. Click here to learn about Year-Round Pell.  To apply for a Federal Pell Grant, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG):
Limited funding awarded to undergraduate students on a first-come, first-serve basis who have exceptional financial need. Students with exceptional financial need are students who are eligible for a Pell Grant but who have the lowest expected family contribution and who are enrolled at least part-time and still have a financial need. Students are not required to pay back FSEOGs.

Federal Work Study (FWS):
Part-time employment for students with a financial need. To apply for FWS, students must complete the www.fafsa.ed.gov.  If awarded FWS, students must complete the CLTCC job application, Background Check Release Form, and Louisiana Civil Service Form. Students must successfully pass the employment background check.

Louisiana Go Grant:
Funding awarded to Louisiana residents based on need by the Louisiana Office of Student Financial Assistance (LOSFA).

Taylor Opportunity Program for Students (TOPS):
State scholarships awarded to Louisiana residents who attend either a Louisiana public colleges and university, school that is part of the Louisiana Community and Technical College System, or institution that is part of the Louisiana Association of Independent Colleges and Universities. There are four different award components under the TOPS:  TOPS Opportunity Award, TOPS Performance Award, TOPS Honors Award, TOPS Tech Award. Students must complete a FAFSA application to apply for TOPS. Louisiana Office of Student Financial Assistance determines eligibility. More information is available at http://www.osfa.la.gov/TOPS.htm.

Workforce Investment Act (WIA):
Financial assistance from the WIA Act of 1998, which was established as a broad-based labor market system using federal job training funds for adults, dislocated workers and youth. Funds are available for tuition, books, and supplies. Contact the workforce investment board in your parish for eligibility guidelines. More information is available at www.laworks.net.

Veterans Affairs (VA) Benefits (GI Bill, Dependent Fee Waivers, National Guard Tuition Exemption):
Educational benefits awarded to students who served in the Armed Forces.

Any student who wishes to obtain federal VA benefits must apply for them through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Go to www.vabenefits.vba.va.gov to access the VONAPP application. The Department of Veterans Affairs will notify the applicant of his/her VA eligibility via letter. Please wait for the Certificate of Eligibility to come in the mail before contacting financial aid. The Certificate of Eligibility is needed to certify students under the correct chapter. It also includes the student’s eligibility start date, end date, and award amount.

Any student who wishes to obtain state VA benefits from the Louisiana Department of Veterans Affairs must contact the local VA office in the parish in which he/she resides. Students who meet the state requirements will be exempt from tuition and school imposed fees. Students will be responsible for any student imposed fees on his/her billing statement. The local parish will approve benefits and send to in Baton Rouge. The student must meet one of the following criteria to receive state VA benefits:
  • Dependent of a living veteran with 90% service connected disability (Living veteran must be a resident of the state of Louisiana for at least two years prior to child enrolling at CLTCC)
  • Student's parent must be a deceased veteran due to 90% service connected disability (Deceased veteran must have been a resident of the state of Louisiana for at least 12 months preceding entry into service)

Note:  If student does not know whether the parent meets one of the above criteria, then a Form DD-214 can be requested. It will show the home address of record that was listed at the entry of active service.

Louisiana National Guard

Students must contact Sgt. Carter with the Louisiana National Guard at (504) 278-8304. Sgt. Carter will check the student's eligibility. If the student is eligible for tuition exemption, Sgt. Carter will notify the school by sending a tuition exemption letter. The letter denotes that CLTCC will waive tuition only; however, the student will be responsible for any fees. Student receiving tuition exemption through the Louisiana National Guard must pursue at least an associate’s degree.

Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Program
Employment program that services veterans who are interested in being retrained for a different field of study. The veteran must have at least 10% service connected disability. To apply, go to www.ebenefits.va.gov or visit your local parish service office. The program pays full tuition, fees, books, and supplies.

Note: The Office of Financial Aid must receive an updated Authorization & Certification Form or Certificate of Eligibility in order to successfully invoice or certify any veteran. Without the aforementioned documents, the Office of Financial Aid cannot process VA benefits or entitlements.