WorkReady U (Adult Education)
What is WorkReady U?
WorkReady U is an adult education and career readiness program for adult learners who want to earn their high school equivalency diploma, improve their literacy, learn English as a second language, and transition to college, with the goal of finding a job earning a family sustaining wage. It is no longer just about obtaining your high school equivalency diploma. It’s also about acquiring the means to improve your circumstances and obtaining the skills you need for a good-paying job. Current statistics indicate that more than half of all our job openings require at least a high school diploma and two years of higher education. As a result, CLTCC is working hard to lower the number of individuals in Louisiana without a high school diploma.
WorkRead U services and opportunities include:
• High school equivalency diploma preparation (HiSET prep)
• Secondary credential preparation
• Basic skills remediation
• English as a second language (resources for migrant and seasonal farm workers)
Where is WorkReady U Offered?
Louisiana Senate Bill 297, passed by Louisiana legislators in 2010, transferred adult education responsibilities from the Louisiana Board of Elementary and Secondary Education to the Board of Supervisors for the Louisiana Community and Technical College System whose core mission is workforce education and training. The move was designed to offer adults an opportunity to earn a high school equivalency diploma and a college degree.
There are more than 200 adult education instructional sites throughout Louisiana. CLTCC currently offers WorkReady U at four of its campuses – the Alexandria Campus (Rapides Parish), the Ferriday Campus (Concordia Parish), the Lamar Salter Campus in Leesville (Vernon Parish), and Oakdale Campus (Allen Parish). You can reach the WorkReady U staff by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, by phone or in person (see information below):
Alexandria Main Campus
4311 South MacArthur Drive
Alexandria, La. 71302
(318) 487-5443 Ext. 1125
2100 E.E. Wallace Boulevard
P.O. Box 1465
Ferriday, La. 71334
(318) 757-6501, Ext. 4403
Lamar Salter Campus
15014 Lake Charles Highway
Leesville, La. 71446
(337) 537-3135, Ext. 1205
117 Highway 1152
Oakdale, La. 71463
(318) 335-3944, Ext. 3126
How do I earn my high school equivalency diploma?
Today, adults who did not earn their diploma in high school must take and pass High School Equivalency Test (HiSET®) to earn a state-issued high school equivalency diploma. The HiSET® is the new alternative to the General Educational Development (GED®) test. In 2014, Louisiana adopted the HiSET® from Educational Testing Service (ETS), replacing the GED® test. The HiSET® is more affordable, available in both paper- and computer-delivered testing formats, and administered at state-selected test centers. Your skills and knowledge are measured in five core areas that make up the five subtests: Language Arts – Reading, Language Arts – Writing, Mathematics, Science and Social Studies.
The HiSET® is given multiple times each month. To register for the test, go to https://hiset.ets.org/requirements/state/la and to view the Louisiana HiSET® Requirements or contact ETS customer service at 1-855 MyHiSET (1-855-694-4738). Our testing center is listed under Central Louisiana Technical Community College. The total fee for all five subtests is $90. Go to https://hiset.ets.org/requirements/state/la to see the fees for individual subtests. The fees vary for additional subtests and/or retests taken within a 12-month period.
How do I enroll in WorkReady U?
Registration is on Mondays and Fridays from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. To enroll, you must physically go to the adult education instructional site where you plan to attend on one of these two days.
1. Bring your driver’s license or state ID, social security card, and signed age waiver if you are under the age of 18 to the adult education instructional site where you plan to attend.
- If you are 16- or 17-years-old, you must obtain an approved age waiver or documentation of current enrollment in a state approved Louisiana Options/Connections program. You can download the waiver form from the HiSET® ETS website @ http://hiset.ets.org/requirements/la. The waiver also can be obtained from your local parish school board office.
- If you are 18-years-old, you must provide a drop slip from the last school attended. The school may fax a copy of the drop slip directly to CLTCC at (318) 487-5970.
2. Take the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE) to determine your skill level in language, mathematics, and reading. TABE testing usually takes three to four hours and is given every Monday and Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the adult education instructional site.
3. Complete the Adult Education Intake Form.
What happens after I enroll?
You will work at your own pace on the subject areas you need to focus on based on the results of your TABE test. From there, you will take a practice HiSET® to determine if you are ready to take the official HiSET®. Once it has been determined that you are ready to take the official exam, you are no longer required to attend class.
Note: Louisiana requires test preparation and authorization to take the HiSET® if you are 16–18 years-old. The practice exams are offered free of charge through WorkReady U.
When are classes offered?
Classes are offered at multiple campuses in the mornings, afternoons, and evenings for working adults and those with families. Therefore, most students are able to find a class schedule that works for them. Contact the adult education instructional site where you plan to attend to find out the class schedule for that site.